With the many things happening in each one’s life presently, it may be beneficial to take a moment to reflect on “How am I caring for myself in the midst of life?”. Only in doing this can really be a gift to others in any capacity. This article shares eight practical tips you can integrate into your daily life.
1. What is spiritually enriching in my life?
- Engaging in meditation, reflection, or prayer
- Reading sacred or inspiring texts
- Spending time in nature
- Receiving teachings, or attending spiritual or religious gatherings
- Engaging in music, painting, drawing, writing, or other arts practices
- Spending time with those who love me and whom I love
- Identifying what activities help me feel my best. Self-care is different for each person.
2. Putting time in my calendar
- Take a closer look at my calendar and carve out one or two hours for self-care and stick to it. Resist the temptation to allow other events to take priority.
3. Sneaking in self-care where I can
- Try to fit in little chunks of time if I can’t find a larger period.
4. Taking care of myself physically
- This includes adequate sleep, good nutrition and exercise.
5. Allowing myself to say no
6. Checking in with myself regularly
7. Considering the quality of self-care
- Scrolling endlessly through social media may not be the most helpful form of self- care.
8. Remembering that self-care is non-negotiable
(adapted from meaningful ageing)